Guide to the Homestead First United Methodist Church Records, 1878-1995 AIS.1996.01

ULS Archives & Special Collections

Summary Information

Repository
ULS Archives & Special Collections
Title
Homestead First United Methodist Church Records
Creator
Homestead First United Methodist Church (Homestead, Pa.).
Collection Number
AIS.1996.01
Date
1878-1995
Extent
2.0 microfilm reels
Abstract
This collection contains eight record books from the church, dating from 1878 and going to 1995 when the church was closed. The collection also contains meeting minutes from various organizations within the church, weekly bulletins, anniversary programs, photographs, newspaper clippings, memorial service programs, as well as information from other local Methodist churches.

Preferred Citation

Homestead First United Methodist Church Records, AIS.1996.01, Archives & Special Collections, University of Pittsburgh Library System

Return to Table of Contents »


History

The Homestead First United Methodist Church was founded in March 1878 and at the time was called the Homestead Methodist Church. The church was founded at the same time the town of Homestead was growing from the influx of immigrant laborers. The members of the Homestead Methodist Church originally met in the Lutheran Church located on Fourth Ave. until the Homestead Bank and Life Insurance Co. donated two lots for the building of a church, one on Ann St. and one on Sixth Ave. The lots were exchanged for two contiguous lots on Ann St. between Sixth Ave. and Seventh Ave. Building for the new church began in 1880.

The new building was dedicated on February 11, 1883. It was at this point that the church changed its name to the Stewart Methodist Episcopal Church, in honor of Joseph S. Stewart who was a founder of the church. This building did not last long, owing to a fire on January 9, 1887. The fire was thought to have been caused by natural gas that had recently been introduced to the furnaces in the church, but was never verified.

A temporary tabernacle was constructed on a vacant lot beside the P.McK. and Y.R.R. Station. It was used as a temporary place of worship, until the dedication of the new church in 1888. This temporary structure was used afterwards for various community purposes.

A new church was built on the corner of Ann St. and Fourth Ave. Mr. Stewart declined to have his name incorporated as the name of the new church. This time the church's name was changed to the Homestead Methodist Episcopal Church. Dedication ceremonies were held on August 5, 1888.

This building was used until 1911, at which point the lots on the corner of Ann St. and Tenth Ave. were purchased. A new building was erected and was dedicated on October 22, 1911. The Homestead First United Methodist Church remained at this location until its closing on December 27, 1995.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Content

This collection reflects the activities of the members of the Homestead First United Methodist Church, 1878-1995. It also includes information about other local Methodist churches from 1968-1974.

The collection consists of two reels of microfilm in which eight record books are located, program pamphlets, meeting minutes, photographs, weekly bulletins, newspaper clippings, histories of other Methodist churches as well as a history of Methodism in the Steel Valley area.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

ULS Archives & Special Collections, Summer 2004

University of Pittsburgh Library System
Archives & Special Collections
Website: library.pitt.edu/archives-special-collections
412-648-3232 (ASC) | 412-648-8190 (Hillman)
Contact Us: www.library.pitt.edu/ask-archivist

Revision Description

 Converted from EAD Version 1.0 to EAD Version 2002 July 1, 2006

Access Restrictions

No restrictions.

Copyright

Permission for publication is given on behalf of the University of Pittsburgh as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.

Acquisition Information

These records were microfilmed with the permission of the Homestead First United Methodist Church in 1996.

Processing Information

Revision for the encoded version of the finding aid provided by Andy Newman in September 2004. Information about the collection title and the controlled access terms was extracted from the MARC record in the University of Pittsburgh catalog Voyager ID number: 4410113

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • Homestead First United Methodist Church (Homestead, Pa.).

Geographic Name(s)

  • Homestead (Pa.) -- History

Subject(s)

  • Churches and Synagogues
  • Methodist Church -- Pennsylvania -- Homestead
  • Methodist Church -- Pennsylvania -- Monongahela River

Return to Table of Contents »


Previous Citation

Homestead First United Methodist Church Records, AIS.1996.01, Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh

Homestead First United Methodist Church, ais 96:1, Records, 1878-1995, Archives of Industrial Society, Hillman Library, University of Pittsburgh

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Series  I. Books, 1868-1995 

Scope and Content Notes

Series I contains the church's books on membership, attendence, and history. Book #2 contains records from 1883 to 1888 that were destroyed in fire.

  Microfilm-cabinetDrawerReel
Book #1, 1868-1883 371
  Reel
Book #2, 1881-1911 1
  Reel
Book #3, 1893-1920 1
  Reel
Book #4, 1921 1
  Reel
Book #5, 1919-1954 1
  Reel
Book #6, 1942-1956 1
  Reel
Book #7, 1951-1954 2
  Reel
Book #8, 1893-1995 2

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  II. Records and Manuscripts, 1885-1992 

Scope and Content Notes

Series II consists of church records in the form of program pamphlets, meeting minutes, photographs, weekly bulletins, newspaper clippings, histories of other Methodist churches as well as a history of Methodism in the Steel Valley area. Of particular interest is the program of the Women's Home Missionary Society. This program lists the officers, committees, meeting dates, discussion topics, and hostesses of the society from 1920-1921.

  Reel
Chronological record of Methodism in Steel Valley 2
  Reel
History of the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Homestead 2
  Reel
Article, July 23, 1945 2
  Reel
Photograph, January 5, 1973 2
  Reel
90th Anniversary Program with Picture 2
  Reel
Dedication program, October 22-26, 1911 2
  Reel
90th Session of Pittsburgh Annual Service Program, October 1913 2
  Reel
Weekly Bulletin, December 22, 1914 2
  Reel
Women's Home Missionary Society Program, 1920-1921 2
  Reel
Weekly Bulletin, July 14, 1918 2
  Reel
Memorial Service Program, May 27, 1954 2
  Reel
Program, December 19, 1954 2
  Reel
Photographs, December 2, 1992 2
  Reel
Homestead Methodism Supplement III, May 14-24, 1970 2
  Reel
Newsletter, May 1968 2
  Reel
Baldwin community Methodist Church 25th Anniversary program, 1943-1968 2
  Reel
Whitaker United Methodist Church 50th Anniversary program, February 3, 1974 2
  Reel
Photograph, circa 1885 2
  Reel
Certificate of Membership, January 2, 1905 2
  Reel
Meeting Minutes, 1916-1922 2
  Reel
Meeting Minutes, 1913-1915 2
  Reel
Men's Bible Class, 1933-1936 2
  Reel
Meeting Minutes, 1915-1917 2
  Reel
First Financial Statement, 1919-1920 2
  Reel
Photographs, 1923 2
  Reel
50th Anniversary program, October 21-28, 1928 2
  Reel
History of Church, October 1928 2
  Reel
Play Script 2
  Reel
Register from 50th Anniversary, October 1928 2
  Reel
75th Anniversary Attendance, October 18-25, 1953 2
  Reel
Brotherhood Class 25th Anniversary, 1962 2
  Reel
100th Anniversary, September 22-24, 1978 2
  Reel
Information Booklet, January 1991 2

Return to Table of Contents »