Guide to the St. John's German Evangelical Lutheran Church, Lawrenceville, Pittsburgh, Pa. Records, 1857-1949 AIS.1994.08

ULS Archives & Special Collections

Summary Information

Repository
ULS Archives & Special Collections
Title
St. John's German Evangelical Lutheran Church, Lawrenceville, Pittsburgh, Pa. Records
Creator
St. John's German Evangelical Lutheran Church (Pittsburgh, Pa.).
Collection Number
AIS.1994.08
Date
1857-1949
Extent
2.0 microfilm reels (839 frames)
Abstract
The records of St. John's German Evangelical Lutheran Church, Pittsburgh (Lawrenceville), Pa., 1857-1949 contain Constitution, Index, Baptisms, Confirmations, Weddings, Funerals, and Communicants, as well as 75th, 125th, and 130th Anniversary books.

Preferred Citation

St. John's German Evangelical Lutheran Church, Lawrenceville, Pittsburgh, Pa. Records, 1857-1949, AIS.1994.08, Archives & Special Collections, University of Pittsburgh Library System

Return to Table of Contents »


History

The official date for the recognition of St. John's Congregation is March 28, 1859 although the Congregation first met together for worship as early as 1857. On May 23, 1869 the church was renamed as the "German United Protestant St. John's Church, 17th Ward, Pittsburgh, Pa." In 1878 the church was renamed "The German Evangelical Lutheran St. John Congregation." In 1929 the name was re-arranged to "The St. John's German Evangelical Lutheran Church." The first service was held in the building of the Lawrenceville Academy on Butler and Fish streets. The present church building at 463 40th Street in Lawrenceville was dedicated on April 24, 1897. Construction had begun in 1896 with F.C. Sauer as the architect and F.E. McGillick as the contractor.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Content

The records of St. John's German Evangelical Lutheran Church, Pittsburgh (Lawrenceville), Pa., 1857-1949 contain Constitution, Index, Baptisms, Confirmations, Weddings, Funerals, and Communicants, as well as 75th, 125th, and 130th Anniversary books. The records are wrtitten in German script and are in poor condition. Some pages are missing where noted.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

ULS Archives & Special Collections, 1994

University of Pittsburgh Library System
Archives & Special Collections
Website: library.pitt.edu/archives-special-collections
412-648-3232 (ASC) | 412-648-8190 (Hillman)
Contact Us: www.library.pitt.edu/ask-archivist

Revision Description

 Converted from EAD Version 1.0 to EAD Version 2002 July 1, 2006

Access Restrictions

No restrictions

Copyright

Permission for publication is given on behalf of the University of Pittsburgh as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.

Acquisition Information

These records were a gift of St. John's German Evangelical Lutheran Church, 463 40th St., Pittsburgh, Pa. 15224 1994.

Processing Information

This collection was processed by ASC Staff in 1994.

Revision and rearrangement for the encoded version of the finding aid provided by Dan Horvath in October, 2003. Information about the collection title and the controlled access terms was extracted from the MARC record in the University of Pittsburgh catalog Voyager ID number: 1484447

Existence and Location of Originals

This collection has been microfilmed by Archives of Industrial Society and the Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society from originals in the possession of St. John's German Evangelical Lutheran Church, 463 40th St., Pittsburgh, PA. 15224

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • German Evangelical Lutheran St. John Congregation (Pittsburgh, Pa.).
  • German United Protestant St. John's Church (Pittsburgh, Pa.).
  • St. John's German Evangelical Lutheran Church (Pittsburgh, Pa.).

Genre(s)

  • Anniversaries -- Books
  • Church records

Geographic Name(s)

  • Lawrenceville (Pittsburgh, Pa.) -- Church history

Subject(s)

  • Churches and Synagogues
  • Ethnic groups
  • German Americans -- Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh
  • Lutheran Church -- Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh

Return to Table of Contents »


Previous Citation

St. John's German Evangelical Lutheran Church, Lawrenceville, Pittsburgh, Pa. Records, 1857-1949, AIS.1994.08, Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh

St. John's German Evangelical Lutheran Church, Pittsburgh (Lawrenceville), PA., Records, 1857-1949, Archives of Industrial Society, University of Pittsburgh Libraries.

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Series  I. Record Books 

  Microfilm-cabinetDrawerReel
Book 1, 1857-1867 371
  Reel
Book 2 (part), 1868-1889 1
  Reel
Book 2 (part), 1868-1889 2
  Reel
Book 3, 1889-1905 2
  Reel
Book 4, 1906-1949 2

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  II. Anniversary Booklets 

  Reel
75th Anniversary, 1859-1934, St. John's Lutheran Church, 1934 2
  Reel
125th Anniversary, 1859-1984, St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, 1984 2
  Reel
130th Anniversary, 1859-1989, St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, 1934 2

Return to Table of Contents »