Guide to the Mulberry and Northwood Presbyterian Churches, Wilkinsburg, Pa. Records, 1882-1992 AIS.1992.10

ULS Archives & Special Collections

Summary Information

Repository
ULS Archives & Special Collections
Title
Mulberry and Northwood Presbyterian Churches, Wilkinsburg, Pa. Records
Creator
Mulberry Presbyterian Church (Wilkinsburg, Pa.).
Creator
Northwood Presbyterian Church (Wilkinsburg, Pa.).
Collection Number
AIS.1992.10
Date
1882-1992
Extent
15.0 microfilm reels
Abstract
Mulberry Presbyterian Church was formerly known as the Second United Presbyterian Church of Wilkinsburg, Pa., until May, 1968. In 1971, the Mulberry Presbyterian Church merged with the Northwood Presbyterian Church located at North Avenue and Wood Street in Wilkinsburg, Pa. Northwood Presbyterian Church was formerly known as the First United Presbyterian Church of Wilkinsburg. This collection includes the records for both churches and spans the years from 1882 to 1992. The collection consists primarily of church minutes from the Mulberry Presbyterian Church Boards. Additional materials include church registers and a few articles of memorabilia.

Preferred Citation

Mulberry and Northwood Presbyterian Churches, Wilkinsburg, Pa. Records, 1882-1992, AIS.1992.10, Archives & Special Collections, University of Pittsburgh Library System

Return to Table of Contents »


History

Mulberry Presbyterian Church was formerly known as the Second United Presbyterian Church of Wilkinsburg, Pa., until May, 1968. Three elders of the First Presbyterian of Wilkinsburg; Messrs. H.E. Carmack, W.F. Bremner and E.T. Jackson, applied to organize a new church in September, 1903. On October 27, 1903, the Second Presbyterian Church of Wilkinsburg was formally organized in Penn Hall. On October 31, 1903 in Penn Hall, Rev. David R. Breed, D.D. conducted the first preaching service. Rev. George W. Mead became the first regular pastor on February 14, 1906. Originally, the church was built in three units: chapel, auditorium (1911), and main church (1912). On September 15, 1929, an education building was added. The Mulberry Presbyterian Church merged with Northwood Presbyterian Church in 1971.

Northwood Presbyterian Church was formerly known as the First United Presbyterian Church of Wilkinsburg, Pa. On November 21, 1882, the first service and organizational meeting of the First United Presbyterian Church occurred. The election of elders and trustees included: elders, T.D. Turner and Z.J. McIlvaine; trustees, John Bartley, William Turner, George McKee, Charles W. Hutchinson, W.S. Watt and James Porter. A lot was purchased at the corner of North Avenue and Wood Street for six hundred dollars. The church building was erected and finally dedicated in 1883. An auditorium was added in 1892, but this burned in 1895. A new building was constructed and then dedicated in 1896. The Northwood Presbyterian merged with Mulberry Presbyterian Church in 1971.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Content Notes

This collection includes the records for both the Mulberry Presbyterian Church and the Northwood Presbyterian Church. The records for the Mulberry Presbyterian Church span the years from 1903 to 1992 and are contained on reels 1 through 13. Reel 14 contains the records for the Northwood Presbyterian Church and covers the years from 1882 to 1971 at which time their records were incorporated into the Mulberry Church records.

The church registers for the Mulberry Presbyterian Church begin in 1903 and can be found on reel one. These registers include the roll of pastors, roll of elders, roll of deacons, roll of trustees, roll of communicants, baptisms, reserve roll, marriages, and deaths. The registers of church members for the Northwood Presbyterian Church for the years 1882 through 1971 are located at the beginning of reel 14.

The bulk of the collection consists of minutes from the Mulberry Presbyterian Church Board of Trustees (1908-1991), the Second Presbyterian Church Board of Session(1903-1968) and the Mulberry Presbyterian Church Board of Session(1968-1992). The minutes of the Board of Trustees from the date of the organization of the Church in 1903 to October 20, 1908 are reported lost. The collection also contains minutes of the Board of Deacons and Board of Session for the Northwood Presbyterian Church for the years 1959 to 1971.

Some articles of memorabilia are included for both the Mulberry Presbyterian Church (end of reel 13) and Northwood Presbyterian Church (end of reel 14).

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

ULS Archives & Special Collections, 1992

University of Pittsburgh Library System
Archives & Special Collections
Website: library.pitt.edu/archives-special-collections
412-648-3232 (ASC) | 412-648-8190 (Hillman)
Contact Us: www.library.pitt.edu/ask-archivist

Revision Description

 Converted from EAD Version 1.0 to EAD Version 2002 July 1, 2006

Access Restrictions

No restrictions.

Copyright

Permission for publication is given on behalf of the University of Pittsburgh as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.

Acquisition Information

Gift of Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society in 1992.

Processing Information

This collection was processed by ais staff in 1992.

Revision and rearrangement for the encoded version of the finding aid provided by Jamie Shriver on October 13, 2003. Information about the collection title and the controlled access terms was extracted from the MARC record in the University of Pittsburgh catalog Voyager ID number: 1418098

Existence and Location of Originals

Microfilmed by the Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society, in cooperation with ais, from originals in the possession of Christ Episcopal Church, Ross Township, PA.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • First United Presbyterian Church (Wilkinsburg, Pa.).
  • Mulberry Presbyterian Church (Wilkinsburg, Pa.).
  • Northwood Presbyterian Church (Wilkinsburg, Pa.).
  • Second United Presbyterian Church (Wilkinsburg, Pa.).

Genre(s)

  • Church records
  • Death records
  • Marriage records
  • Vital records (Document genre)

Geographic Name(s)

  • Wilkinsburg (Pa.) -- Church history
  • Wilkinsburg (Pa.) -- Genealogy

Subject(s)

  • Baptismal records -- Pennsylvania -- Wilkinsburg
  • Church buildings -- Pennsylvania -- Wilkinsburg
  • Church records and registers -- Pennsylvania -- Wilkinsburg
  • Churches and Synagogues
  • Presbyterian Church -- Pennsylvania -- Wilkinsburg

Return to Table of Contents »


Previous Citation

Mulberry and Northwood Presbyterian Churches, Wilkinsburg, Pa. Records, 1882-1992, AIS.1992.10, Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh

Mulberry Presbyterian Church, Wilkinsburg, PA, Records, 1905-1992, ais 92:10 Micro, Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh and Northwood Presbyterian Church, Wilkinsburg, PA, Records, 1882-1971, ais 92:10 Micro Reel 14, Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh.

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Series  I. Church Registers, 1905-1992 

  Microfilm-cabinetDrawerReel
Volume 1, 1905-1927 36-71
  Reel
Volume 2, March 1927-May 1947 1
  Reel
Volume 3, June 1947-January 1954 1
  Reel
Compilation of Registers 1
  Record
Volume 4, June 1969-June 1992 1

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  II. Minutes of the Board of Trustees, 1908-1991 

  Reel
Volume 1, October 20, 1908 - November 1918 1
  Reel
Volume 2, December 12, 1918 - September 30, 1929 2-6
  Reel
Volume 3, October 20, 1929 - February 4, 1940 2-6
  Reel
Volume 4, February 4, 1940 - December 1947 2-6
  Reel
Volume 5, January 12, 1948 - December 17, 1952 2-6
  Reel
Volume 6, December 28, 1952 - January 20, 1957 2-6
  Reel
Volume 7, February 12, 1957 - June 8, 1960 2-6
  Reel
Volume 8, September 7, 1960 - April 5, 1964 2-6
  Reel
Volume 9, June 11, 1964 - November 12, 1970 2-6
  Reel
Volume 10, December 10, 1970 - November 8, 1978 2-6
  Reel
Volume 11, January 7, 1979 - December 12, 1991 2-6

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  III. Minutes of the Board of Session, 1903-1992 

Subseries  1. Second Presbyterian Church, 1903-1968 

  Reel
Volume 1, October 28, 1903 - April 10, 1912 6-11
  Reel
Volume 2, April 14, 1912 - April 1, 1917 6-11
  Reel
Volume 3, April 8, 1917 - December 14, 1924 6-11
  Reel
Volume 4, January 5, 1925 - October 5, 1930 6-11
  Reel
Volume 5, October 6, 1930 - October 11, 1937 6-11
  Reel
Volume 6, November 8, 1937 - March 21, 1943 6-11
  Reel
Volume 7, April 18, 1943 - April 7, 1948 6-11
  Reel
Volume 8, May 5, 1948 - March 11, 1954 6-11
  Reel
Volume 9, April 1, 1954 - May 8, 1958 6-11
  Reel
Volume 10, June 5, 1958 - November 7, 1963 6-11
  Reel
Volume 11, December 5, 1963 - May 19, 1968 6-11

Subseries  2. Mulberry Presbyterian Church, 1968-1992 

  Reel
Volume 12, June 6, 1968 - December 2, 1971 11-13
  Reel
Volume 13, January 1, 1972 - March 6, 1977 11-13
  Reel
Volume 14, April 20, 1977 - December 5, 1982 11-13
  Reel
Volume 15, January 19, 1983 - January 1, 1986 11-13
  Reel
Volume 16, January 21, 1987 - April 4, 1990 11-13
  Reel
Volume 17, April 18, 1990 - August 23, 1992 11-13

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  IV. Memorabilia 

  Reel
Memorabilia    (13 articles) 13-14

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  V. Northwood Presbyterian Church, 1882-1971 

  Reel
Registers of Church Members, Volumes 1-3, 1882-1971 14
  Reel
Minutes of Session, 1968-1971 14
  Reel
Minutes of the Board of Deacons, March 4, 1959 - October 10, 1971 14
  Record
Memorabilia    (3 articles) 14

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  VI. Mulberry Presbyterian Church, January 24, 1972 - February 25, 1979 

  Reel
Board of Deacons Minutes, January 24, 1972-February 25, 1979 15

Return to Table of Contents »