Guide to the Calvary Episcopal Church, Pittsburgh, Pa. Records, 1946-1992 AIS.1992.06

ULS Archives & Special Collections

Summary Information

Repository
ULS Archives & Special Collections
Title
Calvary Episcopal Church, Pittsburgh, Pa. Records
Creator
Calvary Episcopal Church (Pittsburgh, Pa.).
Collection Number
AIS.1992.06
Date
1946-1992
Extent
2.0 microfilm reels (733 frames)
Abstract
The microfilmed records of the Calvary Episcopal Church contain baptismal, marriage, and burials records from 1946-1992.

Preferred Citation

Calvary Episcopal Church, Pittsburgh, Pa. Records, 1946-1992, AIS.1992.06, Archives & Special Collections, University of Pittsburgh Library System

Return to Table of Contents »


History

The Calvary Episcopal Parish was organized in 1855. It was incorporated and a charter was granted in 1859. The first building housing the church was a brick structure used jointly by St. Peter's German Lutheran Church and St. John's Evangelical Protestant Church a short distance north of Penn Avenue, between what is now Sheridan and Collins Avenues. In 1904, a lot at Walnut and Shady was purchased from George Washington Hailman and a year later in 1905, Messrs. Cram, Godhue and Ferguson of Boston were engaged as architects. Howard Hager Co. of Pittsburgh was awarded the building contract. The new edifice was completed and the first service was held in 1906. Missions of Calvary were: 1879 - St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, Wilkinsburg; 1885 - St. James' Episcopal Church of Homewood, now in Penn Hills; 1887 - Church of the Ascension; 1924 - St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Mount Lebanon; 1931 - Fox Chapel Episcopal Church.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Content

The records of the Calvary Episcopal Church include two series. Series I contains Baptisms, 1986-1992; Canonical Register of Baptized Persons, 1946-1992; and Canonical Register of Baptisms, 1946-1986. Series II includes Communicant record, Nov. 1964-May 1982; Canonical Register of Marriages, 1968-July 18, 1992; and Canonical Register of Burials, Jan. 1968-Sept. 1992, Dec. 1991.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

ULS Archives & Special Collections, 1991

University of Pittsburgh Library System
Archives & Special Collections
Website: library.pitt.edu/archives-special-collections
412-648-3232 (ASC) | 412-648-8190 (Hillman)
Contact Us: www.library.pitt.edu/ask-archivist

Revision Description

 Converted from EAD Version 1.0 to EAD Version 2002 July 1, 2006

Access Restrictions

No restrictions.

Copyright

Permission for publication is given on behalf of the University of Pittsburgh as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.

Acquisition Information

These records were a gift of Calvary Episcopal Church, 315 Shady Ave., Pittsburgh, PA, 15206 in 1992.

Processing Information

This collection was processed by ASC Staff in 1992. Revision and rearrangement for the encoded version of the finding aid provided by Dan Horvath in October, 2003. Information about the collection title and the controlled access terms was extracted from the MARC record in the University of Pittsburgh catalog Voyager ID number: 1418097

Existence and Location of Copies

This has been microfilmed by the Archives Service Center and the Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society from originals in the possession of Calvary Episcopal Church, 315 Shady Ave., Pittsburgh, Pa. 15206.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • Calvary Episcopal Church (Pittsburgh, Pa.).
  • Episcopal Church. -- Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh

Genre(s)

  • Church records
  • Communion records
  • Death records
  • Marriage records
  • Vital records (Document genre)

Geographic Name(s)

  • Pittsburgh (Pa.) -- Church history
  • Pittsburgh (Pa.) -- Genealogy

Subject(s)

  • Baptismal records -- Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh
  • Church buildings -- Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh
  • Church records and registers -- Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh
  • Churches and Synagogues

Return to Table of Contents »


Previous Citation

Calvary Episcopal Church, Pittsburgh, Pa. Records, 1946-1992, AIS.1992.06, Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh

Calvary Episcopal Church, Pittsburgh, Pa., Records, ais 92:6, Archives of Industrial Society, University Library System, University of Pittsburgh.

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Series  I. Baptismal Records 

  Microfilm-cabinetDrawerReel
Baptisms, 1986-1992 361
  Reel
Canonical Register of Baptized Persons, 1946-1992 1
  Reel
Canonical Register of Baptisms, 1946-1986 1

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  II. Other Records 

  Reel
Communicant Record, November 1964 - May 1982 2
  Reel
Canonical Register of Marriages, 1968 - July 18, 1992 2
  Reel
Canonical Register of Burials, January 1968 - September 1991, December 1991 2

Return to Table of Contents »