Guide to the Chofetz Chaim Congregation Records, 1931-1973 AIS.1985.12

ULS Archives & Special Collections

Summary Information

Repository
ULS Archives & Special Collections
Title
Chofetz Chaim Congregation Records
Creator
Chofetz Chaim Congregation (Pittsburgh, Pa.).
Collection Number
AIS.1985.12
Date
1931-1973
Extent
0.56 linear feet
Abstract
The Chofetz Chaim Congregation was a Jewish congregation located in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pa. Records for the congregation date from 1925 to 1973 and include minute books, half tone cuts, scrolls, posters, financial statements, certificates, publications, and correspondence. The majority of the records are written in Hebrew.

Preferred Citation

Chofetz Chaim Congregation Records, 1931-1973, AIS.1985.12, Archives & Special Collections, University of Pittsburgh

Return to Table of Contents »


History

The Chofetz Chaim Congregation was organized in 1925 as an Orthodox synagogue. Originally, the Congregation met on the second floor of a building at the corner of Murray and Phillips Avenues. Chofetz Chaim purchased and remodeled the property at 5807 Beacon Street, in 1929, as the Congregation's new meeting site.

The Congregation was known for the support it gave to Torah and educational institutions throughout the world and had a library containing rare volumes. It was also well known for its classes in Talmud and the discourses of Rabbi Ashinky. The Congregation was the first in Pittsburgh to support Yeshivath.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Content Notes

The collection reflects the activities of the Chofetz Chaim Congregation. It contains minute books, correspondence, newspaper clippings, announcements, half tone cuts, financial statements, posters, and scrolls. The minute books and scrolls are written in Hebrew.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

ULS Archives & Special Collections, November 2004

University of Pittsburgh Library System
Archives & Special Collections
Website: library.pitt.edu/archives-special-collections
412-648-3232 (ASC) | 412-648-8190 (Hillman)
Contact Us: www.library.pitt.edu/ask-archivist

Revision Description

 Converted from EAD Version 1.0 to EAD Version 2002 July 1, 2006

Access Restrictions

No restrictions.

Copyright

Permission for publication is given on behalf of the University of Pittsburgh as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.

Acquisition Information

This collection was a gift of the B'Nai Emunah Congregation, November 10, 1985.

Processing Information

This collection was processed by Jaime Hamel on October 18, 2004

Revision for the encoded version of the finding aid provided by Andy Newman in September 2004. Information about the collection title and the controlled access terms was extracted from the MARC record in the University of Pittsburgh catalog Voyager ID number: 1541121

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • Chofetz Chaim Congregation (Pittsburgh, Pa.).

Geographic Name(s)

  • Pittsburgh (Pa.) -- Religion

Subject(s)

  • Churches and Synagogues
  • Ethnic groups
  • Jews -- Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh
  • Judaism -- Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh

Return to Table of Contents »


Previous Citation

Chofetz Chaim Congregation Records, 1931-1973, AIS.1985.12, Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

  BoxFolder
Minute Book, 1931-1942 11

Return to Table of Contents »


  Folder
Minute Book, 1943-1972 2

Return to Table of Contents »


  Folder
Financial Statements, 1939-1972 3

Return to Table of Contents »


  Folder
Half Tone Cuts 4-5

Return to Table of Contents »


  Map-caseDrawer
Scrolls, Certificates, Posters (Oversize) 75

Return to Table of Contents »