Guide to the Holy Trinity Polish National Catholic Church, Washington, Pa. Records, 1907-1980 AIS.1980.10

ULS Archives & Special Collections

Summary Information

Repository
ULS Archives & Special Collections
Title
Holy Trinity Polish National Catholic Church, Washington, Pa. Records
Creator
Holy Trinity Polish National Catholic Church (Washington, Pa.).
Collection Number
AIS.1980.10
Date
1907-1980
Extent
2.0 microfilm reels
Abstract
The Polish National Catholic Church of Washington, Pa., was chartered by the Polish National Catholic Church in Scranton, Pa., after a rift with the Roman Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh in the early part of the 20th century. This collection contains the church record, indexed baptismal record book, minute books of the Parish Council and Most Blessed Sacrament Society (in Polish),financial records, and a Parish Ledgers (in Polish).

Preferred Citation note

Holy Trinity Polish National Catholic Church, Washington, Pa. Records, AIS.1980.10, Archives & Special Collections, University of Pittsburgh Library System

Return to Table of Contents »


History

Land was acquired for religious services by the Polish community in Washington, Pa., in 1913. Shortly afterwards, a church was built and a charter was applied for through the Roman Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh. Bishop Kanewin was sent from Pittsburgh to confer with members of the parish. At this time he asked that they secure a legal deed for the church in the name of the Diocese of Pittsburgh. This caused a rift in the church membership. A sizeable number of parishoners rebeled against deeding over the church they had financed and built. A letter was sent to Bishop Francis Hodur, head of the Polish National Catholic Church in Scranton, Pa. asking for a charter with their church. In the meantime, the church was closed until the Roman Catholic and Polish National factions could reach a settlement.

The church was bought in 1914 at a Sheriff's sale and was given a charter with the Polish National Catholic Church. Three acres were purchased for use as a cemetery and provisions were made for a temporary rectory until the present one could be constucted in 1920. Bishop Hodur came to Washington to formally dedicate the church on August 25, 1915.

Holy Trinity is affiliated with Branch 65 of the Spojnia or Polish National Union. Each Polish National Church is associated with this Union which provides insurance, loans, and social services to members of the Polish community. For further information about the Polish National Catholic Church, consult Fox, Paul, The Polish National Catholic Church Scranton, Pa.:School of Christian Living, 1955 and Janowski, Robert,  The Growth of a Church: A Historical Documentary Scranton, Pa.: Straz Printery, 1965.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Content Notes

This collection contains four series. Series I includes the combined church record, 1914-1980, containing indexes of baptisms, marriages, deaths, holy communions, and confirmations. Series II contains an indexed baptismal record book, 1925-1971. Series III contains minute books of the Parish Council, 1907-1957 (in Polish until June 12, 1965), and of Adoration of the Most Blessed Sacrament Society, 1914-1964 (in Polish). Series IV contains financial records, 1914-1958. The records are contained in Parish Ledgers (in Polish) and Adoration of the Most Blessed Sacrament Society ledgers (in Polish).

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

ULS Archives & Special Collections, May 1980

University of Pittsburgh Library System
Archives & Special Collections
Website: library.pitt.edu/archives-special-collections
412-648-3232 (ASC) | 412-648-8190 (Hillman)
Contact Us: www.library.pitt.edu/ask-archivist

Revision Description

 Converted from EAD Version 1.0 to EAD Version 2002 July 1, 2006

Access Restrictions

No restrictions.

Copyright

Permission for publication is given on behalf of the University of Pittsburgh as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.

Acquisition Information

This collection was microfilmed by Archives of Industrial Society with funds provided by NEH grant RC-0036-79-1210, "Survey and Acquisition of Source Materials Relating to Immigrant and Ethnic Life in Southwestern Pennsylvania" in 1980.

Processing Information

This collection was processed by Katie Kirwan in May, 1980.

Revision and rearrangement for the encoded version of the finding aid provided by Dan Horvath in October 2003. Information about the collection title and the controlled access terms was extracted from the MARC record in the University of Pittsburgh catalog Voyager ID number: 1374604

Existence and Location of Originals

Original records in the possession of Holy Trinity Polish National Catholic Church, 147 Griffuth Ave., Washington, PA 15301

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • Holy Trinity Polish National Catholic Church (Washington, Pa.).
  • Polish National Catholic Church of America. -- Pennsylvania

Geographic Name(s)

  • Pennsylvania -- Church history
  • Washington (Pa.) -- Church history

Subject(s)

  • Baptismal records
  • Church records and registers -- Pennsylvania -- Washington
  • Churches and Synagogues
  • Ethnic groups
  • Poles -- Pennsylvania
  • Poles -- Pennsylvania -- Washington
  • Polish Americans -- Pennsylvania
  • Polish Americans -- Religion

Return to Table of Contents »


Previous Citation

Holy Trinity Polish National Catholic Church, Washington, Pa. Records, AIS.1980.10, Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh

Holy Trinity Polish National Catholic Church, Washington, Pa., Records, 1907-1980, AIS Micro 80:10, Archives of Industrial Society, University of Pittsburgh Libraries

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Series  I. Combined Church Record 

  Microfilm-cabinetDrawerReel
Volume 1, 1914-1970 291
  Reel
Volume 2, 1970-1980 1

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  II. Baptismal Record Book 

  Reel
Volume 1, 1925-1971 1

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  III. Minute Books 

Subseries  1. Parish Council 

  Reel
Volume 1, 1907-1972 1
  Reel
Volume 2, 1957-1972 2

Subseries  2. Adoration of the Most Blessed Sacrament Society 

  Reel
Volume 1, 1914-1933 2
  Reel
Volume 2, 1948-1964 2

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  IV. Financial Records 

Subseries  1. Parish Ledgers 

  Reel
Volume 1, 1914-1921 2
  Reel
Volume 2, 1922-1942 2

Subseries  2. Adoration of the Most Blessed Sacrament Society, Ledgers 

  Reel
Volume 1, 1927-1958 2
  Reel
Volume 2, 1934-1951 2

Return to Table of Contents »