Guide to the Polish National Alliance Group 841 Records, 1907-1979 AIS.1979.12

ULS Archives & Special Collections

Summary Information

Repository
ULS Archives & Special Collections
Title
Polish National Alliance Group 841 Records
Creator
Polish National Alliance of the United States of North America. Group 841 (Monaca, Pa.).
Collection Number
AIS.1979.12
Date
1907-1979
Extent
2.0 microfilm reels (2,036 frames; negative and positive)
Abstract
The Polish National Alliance (PNA or the Alliance) is a non-profit, ethnically-based fraternal insurance benefit society and was founded on February 15, 1880, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, by a group of Polish emigres whose aim was to unite members of the Polish immigrant community behind the twin causes of Poland's independence and their own advancement in American society. The collection contains by-laws, regulations, membership insurance ledgers, a membership record book, an audit report, correspondence, minute books, income and disbursement books, and miscellaneous publications, programs, and booklets from 1907-1979.

Preferred Citation

Polish National Alliance Group 841 Records, 1907-1979, AIS.1979.12, Archives & Special Collections, University of Pittsburgh Library System

Return to Table of Contents »


History

The Polish National Alliance (PNA or the Alliance) is a non-profit, ethnically-based fraternal insurance benefit society. The PNA was founded on February 15, 1880, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, by a group of Polish emigres whose aim was to unite members of the Polish immigrant community behind the twin causes of Poland's independence and their own advancement in American society. Membership is based on the purchase of life insurance and benefits include a variety of sports, youth and culture programs, and a college scholarship program.

In 1881, the PNA established its own newspaper, Zgoda. Beginning in the early 1890s, the PNA created a variety of programs aimed at enlightening the Polish population about their heritage and citizen rights and obligations as Americans. In 1900, the PNA granted full membership rights to women interested in belonging to the Alliance. In 1912, the PNA founded its own educational institution, Alliance College, in Cambridge Springs, Pennsylvania.

From the World War I era to the present, the PNA have given generously to help meet the material and medical needs of Poland's people. The PNA has helped with the resettling of refugees from World War II. In 1944, the PNA played a key role in forming the Polish American Congress, a nationwide ethnic federation, to advance the cause of Poland's freedom. The PNA, whose motto is, "In Unity There Is Strength, In Consensus Power" promotes citizenship participation as part of living in the United States and Polish heritage.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Content Notes

The Polish National Alliance collection contains by-laws, regulations, membership insurance ledgers, a membership record book, an audit report, correspondence, minute books, income and disbursement books, and miscellaneous publications, programs, and booklets from 1907-1979.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

ULS Archives & Special Collections, May 1979

University of Pittsburgh Library System
Archives & Special Collections
Website: library.pitt.edu/archives-special-collections
412-648-3232 (ASC) | 412-648-8190 (Hillman)
Contact Us: www.library.pitt.edu/ask-archivist

Revision Description

 Converted from EAD Version 1.0 to EAD Version 2002 July 1, 2006

Access Restrictions

No restrictions.

Copyright

Permission for publication is given on behalf of the University of Pittsburgh as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.

Acquisition Informaiton

These records were microfilmed by the Archives Service Center, with permision, in May 1979.

Processing Information

This collection was processed by Joseph F. Rishel, Assistant Curator, in May 1979.

Revision and rearrangement for the encoded version of the finding aid provided by Michael O'Malley on June 26, 2003. Information about the collection title and the controlled access terms was extracted from the MARC record in the University of Pittsburgh catalog Voyager ID number: 1384021

Existence and Location of Orginals

Original records are in possession of Polish National Alliance Group 841.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • Polish National Alliance of the United States of North America. Group 841 (Monaca, Pa.).

Genre(s)

  • Bylaws (Administrative records)
  • Programs (Documents)
  • Regulations

Subject(s)

  • Ethnic groups
  • Fraternal organizations -- Pennsylvania -- Monaca
  • Poles -- Pennsylvania
  • Poles -- Pennsylvania -- Monaca
  • Polish American fraternal organizations -- Pennsylvania -- Monaca
  • Polish Americans -- Pennsylvania -- Societies and clubs
  • Societies

Return to Table of Contents »


Previous Citation

Polish National Alliance Group 841 Records, 1907-1979, AIS.1979.12, Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh

Polish National Alliance Group 841, Monaca, Pa., Records, 1907-1979, AIS Micro 79:12, Archives of Industrial Society, University of Pittsburgh Libraries

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

  Microfilm-cabinetDrawerReel
By-laws and regulations, June 16, 1957 281

Return to Table of Contents »


  Reel
Minute books, 1907-1924, 1974-1979 1

Return to Table of Contents »


  Reel
Membership record book, 1907-1937 1

Return to Table of Contents »


  Reel
Membership insurance ledgers (5 vol.), 1924-1952 1

Return to Table of Contents »


  Reel
Income and disbursement books, 1909-1939, 1942-1978 2

Return to Table of Contents »


  Reel
Audit report, 1956 2

Return to Table of Contents »


  Reel
P.N.A. Group 841 programs 2

Return to Table of Contents »


  Reel
P.N.A. District 8 publications 2

Return to Table of Contents »


  Reel
Miscellaneous publications, programs, booklets 2

Return to Table of Contents »


  Reel
Correspondence, 1950-1976 2

Return to Table of Contents »