Guide to the Community Chest of Allegheny County Records, 1933-1960 AIS.1968.14b

ULS Archives & Special Collections

Summary Information

Repository
ULS Archives & Special Collections
Title
Community Chest of Allegheny County Records
Creator
Community Chest of Allegheny County.
Collection Number
AIS.1968.14b
Date
1933-1960
Extent
6.19 linear feet (11 boxes)
Abstract
The Community Chest of Allegheny County operated as a non-profit organization from 1928 through the 1950s for the purpose of conducting annual fund-raising campaigns for the maintenance and support of voluntary health and welfare services in Allegheny County. Community Chest volunteer committees would allocate funds to the designated community agencies and work year-round to make the member agencies more effective. Materials in the collection include brochures, correspondence, manuals, mimeograph lists, minutes, newsletters, newspaper clippings, organizational charts, pamphlets, photographic reproductions, reports, stenographic notes, and sheet music.

Preferred Citation

Community Chest of Allegheny County, 1933-1960, Records AIS.1968.14b, Archives & Special Collections, University of Pittsburgh Library System

Return to Table of Contents »


History

The Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce first proposed a Welfare Fund (Community Chest) for Allegheny County in 1922. In 1928, the Welfare Fund was incorporated and conducted its first campaign to fund twenty-five agencies. Prior to 1922, many social agencies in Pittsburgh operated independently and raised money by means of benefits and door-to-door solicitations. United fundraising efforts resulted in the economic use of time and money, and provided for better planning, budgeting, and business practices. The Welfare Fund grew from twenty-five agencies in 1928 to sixty-four in 1932. By 1934, over eighty agencies were under the funding umbrella of the newly named Community Fund.

To make Community Fund resources available to the wider community during wartime, The United War Fund was established in 1941. Later, as war needs decreased, needs for local services increased due to the return of veterans and their families. The United War Fund merged into the Community Chest in 1948.

By the mid-1940s, there were nearly 1,000 Community Chest organizations in the country. For the purpose of standardization, the Community Fund was renamed the Community Chest of Allegheny County on February 1947. That year, the Chest raised funds for ninety individual agencies in the county. After nearly twenty-five years at the 519 Smithfield Street location, the Community Chest moved to Third Avenue and Ross Street in 1952. In 1956, The Chest became an agency member of the United Fund, a larger, more unified fundraising organization. This meant that the Community Chest no longer operated its annual campaigns. In the 1950s, the Chest provided space to the United Fund at the Ross Street location. The United Fund became the United Way in the 1960s.

The Community Chest, a non-profit corporation, included members as Delegates to the Council of the Community Chest. The Council elected members to the Board of Directors and made changes to the by-laws. Delegates consisted of one lay person and one professional from each member agency. Delegates-at-large were elected annually at the final meeting of each Chest campaign. The Board also designated delegates from civic organizations.

The Community Chest and Federation of Social Agencies existed as a directed organization divested. The Federation of Social Agencies was also a member agency of and received funds from the Community Chest. The Federation came into existence in 1922 to promote federated planning for public and volunteer supported health and welfare services. It was the outgrowth of the first cooperative efforts toward community welfare planning, the Associated Charities, in Pittsburgh that started in 1908. In the late 1940s, there were approximately 175 organizations in the Federation. Not all of the Federation organizations were funded by the Community Chest. Some received civic or tax support. Around 1950, The Federation of Social Agencies became the Health and Welfare Federation of Allegheny County.

The Community Chest created divisions as basic units of solicitation for the annual financial campaign, furnished full-time managers to each division, and provided quotas, lists of participants in the previous campaign, lists of previous results, maps, street lists, and other materials to aid annual recruitment and solicitation. Area Chairmen provided solicitor training to Industrial, Group, and General Solicitation Chairmen, as well as campaign workers.

The City Neighborhood Division received responsibility for soliciting all areas within the City of Pittsburgh, except East Liberty and Squirrel Hill, and the Social Agencies and Hospitals. The division solicited "small industries and commercial firms, local merchants, professional people, persons with no regular place of employment, persons with independent incomes, house wives and domestic servants." Three different groups accomplished general solicitations in the area: Business and Professional Group, Special Gifts Committee and house-to-house solicitations.

The Schools Division operated and sought to educate school age children about the Chest services and promote "active citizen participation in community welfare".

Volunteer committees directed and planned the fundraising and year round activities of the Chest. Prior to 1943, the Community Chest Budget Committee reviewed agency budgets. As the number of agencies grew, and as the social problems of an expanding metropolitan area increased, the Community Chest Board questioned the adequacy of the budget plan. In March 1939, the Board appointed a Special Committee to study the relationships between the Community Chest's function of social programs planning and the function of budgetary planning and allocation. The Committee found weaknesses inherent in the budget system; primarily, that the Budget Committee allocated funds to community social service agencies with no reliable means of assessing the services provided by those agencies. To prevent the possibility of funding based on "high-powered salesmanship" rather than expert analysis, the Special Committee recommended that the function of agency assessment be removed from the Community Chest Budget Committee and shifted to the Federation of Social Agencies. Under this arrangement, individuals closest to the work of the agencies provided social programs analysis and planning, to better serve the function of budgeting. The Special Committee issued its final report in May 1941. It led to the restructuring of the Chest's budget processes and greater cooperation with the Federation. In 1943, the Federation assumed responsibly of the budget review process and made recommendations for allocations to the Community Fund.

In 1949, a Joint Study Committee proposed to study disputes between the Community Chest and some member agencies regarding dissatisfaction with inadequate allocation levels and member agency functions. The Joint Study Committee, funded by the Community Chest, represented the Bureau of Community Councils, American Service Institute, Urban League of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Housing Association, Health and Welfare Federation of Allegheny County, and the Community Chest of Allegheny County.

The Fraternal and Organizations Committee organized in 1949 to recruit volunteer solicitors for the 1950 Community Chest Campaign. Community leaders from approximately twenty-five mostly fraternal organizations represented a wide range of ethnic groups.

The American Service Institute, a Community Chest member agency "serving as a resource for the integration of the various racial, nationality, and religious groups into community life". ASI succeeded three agencies that provided special services to "New Americans": International Institute of Pittsburgh, International Institute of McKeesport, and American Citizenship League. The agency was staffed by professionally trained social workers specializing in intercultural and interracial relations. ASI worked with churches, schools and nationality groups as a resource to promote better understanding of nationality groups in Allegheny County. ASI staff members served the Community Chest through the Speaker's Bureau and as consultants to the School Divisions, developed, organized, and directed programs in the schools; and helped with the Community Chest fundraising campaigns. The American Service Institute also handled immigration and naturalization inquiries, and educated foreign language groups about the importance of The United War Fund.

The Speakers Bureau, a year-round service of the Community Chest and Federation of Agencies, provided free speakers, programs, and films to small groups, clubs and organizations. Volunteer speakers were experts from various fields who spoke as volunteers on a wide range of topics relating to health, childcare, family problems, recreation, and community planning. Specific topics ranged from dental hygiene to smoke abatement.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Content Notes

The collection documents activities and associations of the Community Chest from the 1930s through the 1950s. Major topics include functions of the Community Chest, unified fundraising campaigns, volunteerism, public relations, budget allocation problems and processes, community needs, and services provided by over ninety social service member agencies in Allegheny County. Materials in the collection include brochures, correspondence, manuals, mimeograph lists, minutes, newsletters, newspaper clippings, organizational charts, pamphlets, photographic reproductions, reports, stenographic notes, and sheet music.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

ULS Archives & Special Collections, Spring 2001

University of Pittsburgh Library System
Archives & Special Collections
Website: library.pitt.edu/archives-special-collections
412-648-3232 (ASC) | 412-648-8190 (Hillman)
Contact Us: www.library.pitt.edu/ask-archivist

Revision Description

 Converted from EAD Version 1.0 to EAD Version 2002 July 1, 2006

Access Restrictions

No restrictions.

Copyright

Permission for publication is given on behalf of the University of Pittsburgh as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.

Acquisition Information

Gift of the School of Social Work Library, University of Pittsburgh on August 15, 1968.

Processing Information

This collection was processed by Archives Service Center staff.

Revision and rearrangement for the encoded version of the finding aid provided by Jacqueline Perry on January 16, 2001. Information about the collection title and the controlled access terms was extracted from the MARC record in the University of Pittsburgh catalog Voyager ID number: 1405908

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • Community Chest of Allegheny County.

Subject(s)

  • Associations
  • Human services -- Pennsylvania -- Allegheny County
  • Neighborhoods -- Pennsylvania -- Allegheny County
  • Social action

Return to Table of Contents »


Previous Citation

Community Chest of Allegheny County, 1933-1960, Records AIS.1968.14b, Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Series  I. By-laws, 

Scope and Content Notes

Contains revised by-laws from 1937, 1946, 1948 and 1951, as well as suggested changes in 1943.

  BoxFolder
By-laws, 1937-1951 11

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  II. Presidents, 

Scope and Content Notes

Contains letters, reports, and communiqués from Community Chest Presidents Theodore F. Smith and A.H. Burchfield in the 1940s, Leland Hazard 1949 to 1950, and George R. Craig, J.K. Beeson, and Carl B. Jensen in the early 1950s. Major topics concern budget procedures and allocations, insurance, and changes to the by-laws. The address given in July 1949 by President, Leland Hazard, concerns questions as to whether budgeting procedures at the Chest resulted in proper allocation, the threat to 'democratic procedures of budgeting and allocation', and the survival of the Community Chest. Presidential communications of the early 1950s address the 'crisis' in health and welfare services, the failure of the Chest to reach funding goals in most years, the need for the organization to study community needs and agency programs, and to gather feedback from Chest agencies.

  Folder
Presidents, 1945-1953 2

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  III. Delegate Council, 1948-1950 

Scope and Content Notes

Materials of the Delegate Council include meeting announcements and proposed changes to the by-laws from 1948 to 1951. A report to the Council by President, A. H. Burchfield, Jr., discusses the February 1949 Board of Directors meeting. There is a list of allocations to Community Chest agencies for 1949, which primarily covers family and child welfare services, group work, community health services and youth services.

  Folder
Announcements and Reports, 1948-1950 3

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  IV. Board of Directors, 1941-1960 

Scope and Content Notes

Materials concerning the Community Chest Board of Directors are contained in seven folders and include agendas, memorandum, minutes, reports and resolutions. There are Board of Directors membership lists from 1941 to 1960, and board minutes from the 1940s. Folder 10 includes board minutes and a budget analysis from 1949.

  Folder
Membership Lists, 1941-1960 4
  Folder
Minutes, 1945 6
  Folder
Minutes, 1941-1942 5
  Folder
Minutes, 1946 7
  Folder
Minutes, 1947 8
  Folder
Minutes, 1948 9
  Folder
Minutes and Budget Analysis, 1949; 1949 10
  BoxFolder
Minutes, 1949 21

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  V. Executive Director, 1945-1955 

Scope and Content Notes

This series contains three folders that include correspondence and memoranda from three Community Chest Executive Directors, Carter Taylor (1945-1947), Robert P. Lane (1950-1952), and Robert L. Garvey (1945-1955). A letter from Tayor dated September 22, 1945 to George W. Martin, President of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People in Clairton, Pennsylvania, recommends Negro representation on the Clairton Campaign Committee of the United War Fund. In an August 1945 letter to Taylor, Helen D. Green, Executive Director of the American Services Institute, explains the role of the American Service Institute and its non-affiliation with The American Federation of International Institutes. This came in response to questions about the Mexican 'War Manpower' workers in Pittsburgh. An April 30, 1947, letter from Helen Green to Tayor documents retrenchment measures taken by the American Services Institute due to 1947 budget cuts affecting all Chest agencies. The series is arranged alphabetically by the Director's last name.

  Folder
Garvey, Robert L., 1954-1955 2
  Folder
Lane, Robert P., 1950-1952 3
  Folder
Taylor, Carter, 1945-1947 4

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  VI. Correspondence, 1942-1960 

Scope and Content Notes

This series contains correspondence between Community Chest (Community Fund) and American Service Institute Executive Secretaries; Helen D. Green (1940s), Eleanor l. Ryder (1950), and Hope McDermott (1951-1960). Also includes lists of officers, board of directors, and delegates to the Chest. A letter from 1942 gives a brief history of the American Service Institute and describes the organization's activities.

  Folder
General, 1956 5
  Folder
American Service Institute, 1942-1960 6

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  VII. Divisions, 1942-1953 

Scope and Content Notes

Seven Folders of material are contained in the Divisions series concerning the following units: City Neighborhood Division, Social Agencies Section, Program Services Division, School Division, Council on War Relief Agencies, and the United War Fund.

Folders 7-9 include a City Neighborhood Division Plan for the 1946 financial campaign, lists of individuals; 'Cooperation Sheets' used to collect pledges from clubs and organizations; subscription lists from the 1944-45 campaign; lists of solicited clubs and organizations; area street lists; and, a 1946 City Neighborhood Division Instruction Manual containing organizational charts and policy and procedures for conducting the 1946 Division financial campaign.

Folder 10 contains minutes and lists of representatives for the Council of War Relief Agencies of the United War Fund. There are completed questionnaires concerning agency membership and activities from the Pittsburgh Unit of French Relief, Inc., Norwegian Society of Pittsburgh, Polish American Council, British War Relief Society, Inc., and the Czechoslovak Committee.

Folder 12 contains the Community Chest Reference Manual for Schools for 1946 describing the functions of the Chest, the annual campaign, and services provided by the Chest agencies. The manual includes statistics about family welfare services from 1945. There is an 'Information Kit' from 1944 distributed to schools in Allegheny County for the purpose of educating school age children about "service to others on the war front and the home front" available through the United War Fund and the Community Fund. Also, included are an organizational chart, list of responsibilities, a plan for year-round work in educational programs for field consultants, Q A lists concerning Community Fund services, and an 'Attitude Test' concerning 'social judgement' to be utilized in the classroom.

Folder 13 contains materials relating to the United War Fund including a Neighborhood Division Campaign Manual for the United War Fund from 1944, a subscription list of foreign language organizations from 1943, and a National War Fund Directory of Member Agencies.

  Folder
City Neighborhood Division, 1942-1953 7
  Folder
City Neighborhood Division, 1946 8-9
  Folder
Council of War Relief Agencies, 1944-1945 10
  Folder
Program Services Division, n.d. 11
  Folder
School Division, 1944-1946 12
  Folder
United War Fund, 1943-1944 13

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  VIII. Committees, 1935-1942 

Scope and Content Notes

Committee material is contained in six boxes (boxes 3-8) and include correspondence, communiqués, reports, and stenographic notes relating to the Joint Study Committee, Agency Come and See Committee, Budget Committee, Fraternal and Organizations Committee and the Special Committee for Budget Problems. The bulk of the material is in the form of stenographic notes documenting the general meetings and agency budget hearings conducted by the Budget Committee from 1936 to 1942.

Folder 1 contains communiqués, correspondence and report concerns the 'audit' of budget processes conducted by the Joint Study Committee from 1947 to 1949. A plan and report of the joint, self-analytical study ('audit') of the Chest and the Federation is included. Folder 2 contains only two meeting announcements from the Agency Come and See Committee for the purpose of organizing tours and exhibitions that would showcase services of the Chest member agencies in 1948.

Budget Committee stenographic notes are contained in Box 3, Folder 3 through Box 8, Folder 5. The Budget Committee hearing schedules are divided into four groups. For each hearing cycle, there are generally lists of committee members, agency names, and schedules assigned to each group. The six boxes of stenographic notes are organized as they were originally bound, as groups, generally in chronological order.

Box 8, Folder 6 contains materials from the Fraternal and Organizations Committee that include lists of community leaders from approximately twenty-five, mostly fraternal organizations, representing a wide range of ethnic groups. A pamphlet titled, Above All the People, published by the Chest's Program Services Division in 1952 contains "Tips for Talks". There are funding percentages from 1951, goals of the 1952 campaign, 1952 service figures, and a list of Community Chest agencies.

Box 8, Folder 7 contains materials of the Special Committee for Study of the Budget Problems; they include minutes from October 1939 to March 1941; correspondence and summaries from 1940 to 1941 regarding budget processes of Community Chests located in other cities; and, the committee's final report dated May, 1941.

  BoxFolder
Audit/Joint Study Committee, 1947-49 31
  Folder
Agency Come and See Committee, 1948 2
  Folder
Group I-II, September 1936-October 1936 3-4
  Folder
General, October 1936-February 1937 5
  Folder
Group I-IV, September 1936-October 1937 6-8
  Folder
General, December 1937-January 1938 9
  Folder
Group I-II, December 1937 10-11
  BoxFolder
Group III, September 1936-October 1936 41-2
  Folder
Group I-IV, April 1938-January 1939 3-5
  Folder
Group III-IV, December 1937-January 1938 6-7
  Folder
General, January 1939-February 1939 8
  BoxFolder
Group I-IV, December 1938-January 1939 51-4
  Folder
General, September 1939-October 1940 5-8
  BoxFolder
Group I-IV, December 1939-January 1941 61-4
  Folder
Group I-III, December 1940-January 1941 5-7
  BoxFolder
Group IV, December 1940-January 1941 71
  Folder
General, May 1941-November 1941 2
  Folder
General, February 1941-May 1941 3
  Folder
Group I-IV, January 1942-December 1941 4-7
  BoxFolder
General, January 1942-November 1942 81
  Folder
Group I-IV, November 1942-December 1942 2-5
  Folder
Fraternal and Organizations Committee, 1949-1952 6
  Folder
Special Committee, Budget Problems, 1939-1942 7

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  IX. Public Relations Department, 1942-1958 

Scope and Content Notes

The series includes materials from the 1940s and 1950s such as correspondence, committee reports, newspaper clippings, fact sheets, and photographic illustrations of member agency services. Also included is a five-year plan for the Community Chest and Federation of Social Agencies dated 1947, a radio report of broadcasts for 1947, and a public relations report for 1950. There is a 1951 Campaign Publicity Report, a list of Chest agency television and radio appearances for 1955, and the Health and Welfare Association list of United Fund agencies and services provided in 1958.

Folder 3 contains materials concerning the Speakers Bureau from the 1940s primarily. Documents include correspondence, pamphlets, study guides for the purposes of speaking to club groups on the topics of juvenile delinquency, family breakdown, child dependency and community health.

  BoxFolder
General, 1944-1947 91
  Folder
General, 1948-1958 2
  Folder
Speakers Bureau, 1942-1950 3

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  X. Finance, 1941-1953 

Scope and Content Notes

The series consists of ten folders, which contain by-laws, correspondence, financial and policy statements, forms, guides, lists, minutes and reports from the 1940s and early 1950s. A Pocket Guide 1944, prepared by the Bureau of Social Research Federation of Social Agencies of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County, contains charts and figures illustrating social service trends designed to serve as background for Budget Committees. Reports from the early 1950s contain histories and background information regarding budget policies and procedures for the Community Chest and the Federation. Funding requests from agencies explain agency services, budgets, and needs in the 1940s. The constitution and by-laws for the Federation of Social Agencies are included with reports that explain the Federation reorganization for the purpose of implementing the new budget processes in 1943. Remaining materials consist of financial statements of the Community Fund for 1941 and 1942, list of payments to Chest agencies from 1938 to 1947, blank budget forms, worksheets, recommendations, and minutes.

  Folder
Income Expenditures Statement, 1948 4
  Folder
Planning and Budgeting Process, 1941-1953 5
  Folder
Agencies Revised Budget Requests, 1941-1953 6
  Folder
Agencies Revised Budget Requests, 1944-1949 7
  Folder
Financial Statements, 1941 8
  Folder
Financial Statements, 1942 9
  Folder
Payments to Member Agencies, 1938-1947 10
  Folder
Budget Estimates, 1941-1950 11
  Folder
Forms, undated 12
  Folder
Budget Material, 1941-1949 13

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  XI. Campaign, 1942-1960 

Scope and Content Notes

Materials concerning the annual fundraising campaigns of the 1940s and 1950s are contained in one box and the folders are arranged chronologically. They include brochures, correspondence, guides, handbooks, lists, newspaper clippings, organizational charts, reports, resource materials, and sheet music. The Chest provided detailed instructions to volunteers during the annual campaigns: items include the Group Solicitation Plan, 1947,  Handbook for Volunteers, Fall Campaign 1953, resource materials and instructional packet for speakers dated 1953, and  Firm Chairman's Handbook, 1954 for company solicitation.

There are documents relating to after-campaign analysis and evaluations designed to improve future fundraising efforts. Some of these include: The Community Fund campaign achievements list that contains goals, pledges, actual payments and shortfalls in campaigns of the 1930s and early 1940s, list of participants and campaign results for the City Neighborhood Division in 1944-1945. Volunteer reports discuss problems related to prejudice, and the failure of community organizing, human relations, and organizational structure.

The Community Chest sought foreign language campaign volunteers through the American Service Institute. Included in the materials of the 1950s are census figures of the largest nationality groups in Allegheny County in 1953, as well as a list and description of 'key leaders' from the Polish Community.

For the 1954 campaign, the Community Chest produced a brochure called, Court 1-6010,that described the available educational films created in Allegheny County through a Chest project that utilized local writers and actors. The films had titles such as "Incident on the Hill", "Nobody's Nothin", "Outcast", and "Stigma". The brochure and a list of television play dates are in Folder 9. Located in Folder 7, is sheet music titled, "Bright Red Feather", a campaign song by Maxfield Gibbons and John Gile (no date).

Folder 10 contains materials from the 1950s related to the United Fund (United Way), including brochures describing the relationship between the Community Chest and the United Fund.

  BoxFolder
General, 1942-1951 101
  Folder
City Neighborhood Analysis, 1945 2
  Folder
Clubs and Organizations Lists, 1946 3
  Folder
Group Solicitation, 1947 4
  Folder
Campaign Materials, 1949-1951 5
  Folder
American Service Institute, Campaign Materials, 1949-1950, 6
  Folder
Campaign Materials, 1953-1954 7
  Folder
American Service Institute, Campaign Materials, 1954 8
  Folder
Campaign Materials, 1955 9
  Folder
Campaign Materials, 1956-1958 10
  Folder
Social Agencies Section, Campaign Materials, 1958 11
  Folder
Social Agenices Section, Campaign Materials, 1959-1960 12

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  XII. Miscellaneous, 1933-1959 

Scope and Content Notes

Miscellaneous materials from 1933 to 1959 include booklets, correspondence, income and expense sheets, lists, and reports. Included are budget analysis work sheets and agencies' income and expense sheets with figures from 1939 to 1944; correspondence relating to a community service exhibit at the Carnegie Museum in October 1950, called the Agency Come and See Show; Joint Plan of Merger of the Community Fund and United War Fund dated 1946; correspondence seeking participation in the Community Chest Thank You Week where agencies plan at least one event to thank friends and supporters; lists of Community Fund Agencies dated 1945 and 1953; the 1933 Articles of Incorporation for the Welfare Federation of Cleveland and a booklet explaining the services and history of the Cleveland Chest from 1913 to 1942; and correspondence from 1946 to 1959 generally concerning administrative issues at the Community Chest's office.

  BoxFolder
Application for Participation, 1947 111
  Folder
Changes in Agencies from 1939 to 1944, 1947 2
  Folder
Come and See Show, 1950 3
  Folder
County Division Pledges from 1944 to 1946, 1949 4
  Folder
Community Chest Thank You Week, 1950 5
  Folder
Community Fund Agencies List, 1945-1953 6
  Folder
Merger, 1946-1950 7
  Folder
Policy Changes, 1937-1946 8
  Folder
Welfare Federation of Cleveland, 1933-1942 9
  Folder
Correspondence, 1946-1959 10

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  XIII. Publications, 1948-1958 

Scope and Content Notes

The series contains booklets and newsletters from 1948 to 1958 including one issue of The Chest dated December 1959; seven issues of  Community dating from 1948 to 1951, published by the Community Chest, the Federation of Social Agencies of Pittsburgh, and Allegheny County; seven issues of  Service from 1952 to 1958; and, two issues of  UF Newsletter (United Fund) from December 1956 and November 1958. In addition there is a primer to the Community Fund agencies printed in 1953 explaining the services provided by each agency; and, a unified campaign plan specifically for companies that has no date.

  Folder
Agencies Primer Giving Plan for Firms, 1953, and undated 11
  Folder
Newsletters, 1948-1958 12

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  XIV Annual Reports, 1941-1959 

Scope and Content Notes

Contains annual reports of the Community Fund for 1941, The United War Fund and the Community Fund for 1943, and the Community Chest Annual Report for 1959.

  Folder
Annual Reports, 1941-1959 13

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  XV. Newspaper Clippings, 1946-1956 

Scope and Content Notes

Contains clippings primarily from Pittsburgh area newspapers concerning annual campaign short falls as they relate to increasing requests for funds from agencies threatening service cuts to the community. Several of these articles focus on Community Chest funding problems in 1949, and the state of unified capital appeals.

  Folder
Newspaper Clippings, 1946-1956 14

Return to Table of Contents »


Series  XVI. Schedule of Code Number Groups, undated 

Scope and Content Notes

The series contains two bound, undated lists called, "Schedule of Code Number Groups". The lists link the Code Numbers discussed in the records to the Firm and Section Numbers of the Community Chest of Allegheny County.

  Folder
Schedule of Code Number Groups, undated 15

Return to Table of Contents »