|Historic Pittsburgh Video Collection: Monongahela and Duquesne Inclines
Title: Monongahela and Duquesne Inclines | Date: ca. 1975 | Duration: 00:57 | Creator: Bill Beal
Description: The Monongahela and Duquesne Inclines were among the many inclined planes (also known as funiculars) that carried passengers, animals, and cargo from Pittsburgh's South Side to the top of Mt. Washington. Opening in 1870, the Monongahela Incline is the oldest in existence. From 1884 until 1935, an additional incline operated alongside the Monongahela, which carried horses and automobiles. It is operated by the Port Authority of Allegheny County.
As more roads were built along Mt. Washington and automobile ownership increased, passengers on the inclines dwindled. In 1962, the Duquesne Incline Plane Company closed the Duquesne Incline (with the solid red cars), which had been in operation since 1877. However, two years later a citizens group, The Society for the Preservation of the Duquesne Heights Incline, repaired and reopened the incline.
The Senator John Heinz History Center is the copyright owner of this material. The clips presented on this site are for personal, research and educational purposes only. Duplication of any of these images for commercial purposes is expressly prohibited. Please contact the Library and Archives for information regarding commercial use of material from this collection.