The Pittsburgh Public Schools online collection contains 686 images from 1911 through 1978 showing events and activities of students, teachers, parents, and board members of the Pittsburgh School District. Images were selected that depict Pittsburgh's neighborhood schools, many of which are no longer extant, and the school's important role in the community.
What’s in the entire collection
The collection, held by the Library & Archives at the Senator John Heinz History Center, comprises approximately eleven thousand images taken between 1895 and 1984.
About the Pittsburgh Public Schools
The Pittsburgh Public Schools began operating as an official institution in 1835 after the passage of the "Common School" Law of 1834 by the Pennsylvania Legislature.