The core of the Northland Historical Image Collection is made up of more than 1300 photographs from the Allegheny County Department of Public Works covering the municipalities of Bradford Woods Borough, Franklin Park Borough, Marshall Township, McCandless Township and Ross Township. These photos cover the construction and upgrades of county roads beginning in 1919 in the North Hills as well as the construction of North Park. Also included are photographs from the North Allegheny History Museum collection, the Franklin Park Borough collection, and private collections from individuals, organizations and businesses in the North Hills area.
These 175 new images were added to the online collection in March 2013.
What's in the entire collection
Northland Public Library does not maintain a physical collection of the online images. Our current library collection numbers about 204,000 items, including books, CDs, DVDs, CD-Roms, audio books, magazines and newspapers. Our physical collection is supplemented by access to digital collections including the HeritageQuest Database, Ancestry Library Edition and others. Additional information on the history of the North Hills area can be found on our local history website. The North Allegheny History Museum collection includes photographs, books, newspapers, maps and other historical documents pertaining to the North Hills area; please contact Joe Bullick for more information. The Franklin Park Borough Collection contains photos, maps, historical documents and family histories from Franklin Township, Franklin Park Borough and surrounding areas. For more information, contact Debby Rabold, Franklin Park Historian, at 412-364-4115 ext. 309. For more information on the Allegheny County Department of Public Works photos and maps, please contact Bill Connery, Senior Records Coordinator, at 412-350-5927.
About the Northland Public Library
Northland Public Library opened in October of 1968 to serve the municipalities of Bradford Woods Borough, Franklin Park Borough, McCandless Township, and Ross Township. In 1978 Northland moved to its current location on Cumberland Road. In 1988 Marshall Township was added to our service area. This unique partnership of municipalities enables us to provide superior library services and an extensive collection to the 80,000+ residents of these communities. Northland is a member of the Allegheny County Library Association. As its mission, Northland Public Library enables, empowers and encourages lifelong learning and discovery. We are located at 300 Cumberland Road, Pittsburgh, PA, 15237. We also offer bookmobile service in Marshall and Ross townships. Our phone number is 412-366-8100 and our website is www.northlandlibrary.org.