The Jones & Laughlin Steel Corporation online collection contains 362 images from 1853 to 1954 showing images of facilities, products, and transportation, including interior and exterior photos of the many Jones and Laughlin mills, coal mines, and warehouses. Images were selected that visually document steel mill facilities and the workers that played such an important role in Pittsburgh's industrial heritage.
What’s in the entire collection
The collection, held by the Library & Archives at the Senator John Heinz History Center, comprises 3,560 images taken between 1870 and 1954. The collection features a large assortment of posed shots of employees listing their names, job titles, and miscellaneous information, e.g. nicknames, years of service, or reasons for leaving the company. It also contains images of office buildings all over the United States and photographs of tugboats, barges, and railroads shipping Jones & Laughlin finished products and raw materials.
About the Jones & Laughlin Steel Corporation
The Jones & Laughlin Steel Corporation was one of the largest iron and steel manufacturers in the United States during the late nineteenth to mid-twentieth centuries. Jones and Laughlin grew out of the American Iron Works, founded by John and Bernard Lauth in September 1853. Benjamin F. Jones later bought one-quarter controlling interest in the firm. In 1861, the Lauths sold off their shares to Jones. James Laughlin, who owned a rolling mill across the river in Hazelwood, bought into the company, and it was renamed Jones & Laughlin Steel Company. The company expanded its production capacity in 1909 with a new plant in Aliquippa, Pennsylvania, twenty-six miles down the Ohio River from Pittsburgh. The company remained independent until 1974 it merged with Ling-Temco-Vought (LTV). All production facilities were closed by 1989.