Scope and Content Notes:
Margaret Woolley joined The Mother Church, The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston, Massachusetts on November 1, 1912. She resided at 1235 Elmwood Avenue in Wilmette, Illinois and was a member of Seventh Church of Christ, Scientist, Chicago, Illinois at that time. On April 30, 1914, she informed the Church that she was married, and gave her name as Mrs. Margaret W. Ledward. In 1920, Mrs. Ledward became a Christian Science practitioner (healer) listed in The Christian Science Journal. Her marriage to Mr. Ledward evidently ended before 1924, when she remarried, and changed her name to Mrs. Margaret Laird. In 1937, she became a teacher of Christian Science, authorized to teach a class of pupils annually.
In 1945 Mrs. Laird's listing was removed from the Journal for incorrectly practicing and teaching Christian Science. She withdrew her membership in The Mother Church in 1951. Within a few years she established The Margaret Laird Foundation, based in Bridgeport, Connecticut, Evanston, Illinois, and Los Angeles, California. (Mrs. Laird moved from Illinois to Los Angeles in 1953.) The Foundation was Mrs. Laird's vehicle for her lectures, books, and pamphlets. While she also continued to consider herself a Christian Science practitioner and teacher, she was not recognized as such by The Christian Science Board of Directors (the governing body of The Mother Church).