This land deed documents the purchase of land by the Susquehanna Land Company from the Iroquois Indians in the Wyoming Valley of northeastern Pennsylvania. It is dated July 11, 1754, and contains a narrative of the agreement, the names of the land purchasers, and the marks of the Iroquois involved with the agreement. Although written by an Englishman and favoring the English settlers, the deed reflects the perspective of the Native Americans. The name Susquehanna Land Company is not specifically mentioned in the deed, but research discerns that this was the colonial party responsible for the purchase of the Wyoming Valley.
In the deed, the Iroquois acknowledge that although they are the native owners of Wyoming Valley, the land also falls within a charter from King Charles II granting ownership to the colony of Connecticut. The Iroquois recognize that many settlers from Connecticut have applied for purchasing the land in order to maintain friendly relationships and trade with the English, and to solidify Iroquois protection from the French and their Indian allies.