Access and Use
Gift of the Estate of Martha Glaser on June 15, 2015.
"Unreleased" sound recordings in the collection are restricted for listening or any use until the donor releases them publicly or by June 1, 2020 (whichever comes first).
The University of Pittsburgh holds the property rights to the material in this collection, but the copyright may still be held by the original creator/author. Researchers are therefore advised to follow the regulations set forth in the U.S. Copyright Code when publishing, quoting, or reproducing material from this collection without the consent of the creator/author or that go beyond what is allowed by fair use.
This collection was inventoried, organized, catalogued, rehoused, and digitized under the direction of music archivist Jocelyn Arem with assistance from Emma Munger, Pete Kennedy, Michael Mercurio, Kathryn Littlefield, Mary Kidd, Jessica Thompson, Kabir Hermon, John Demetros, Kevin Russo, Doug Bleek, Rebecca Marrone, Sophie Brill, Cat Guzman, Dawn Reel, Susan Rosenberg, and Briggan Krauss. Once it was transferred to the ASC, staff conducted final processing steps to create a finding aid. The analog sound recordings were transferred to digital files by Magic Shop Audio Preservation studio in NYC. A database accompanies the collection which primarily describes the sound recordings and individual "songs" on the various media (reels, cassettes, disks, etc.).
Digital reproductions of all released sound recordings are available for listening onsite in the ASC Reading Room.
The collection was inherited by Susan Rosenberg, niece of Martha Glaser, in December 2014. From the early 1950’s-1970’s, Erroll Garner's long-time manager, Ms. Glaser, collected this material from record labels, recording studios, live performance venue engineers, and studios, which, per the client, she kept labeled and in metal filing cabinets in a New York City office between 1977 and 2008, after which the material was moved to climate controlled storage facility in New York City.
Erroll Garner Archive, 1942-2010, AIS.2015.09, Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh