The Ford E. and Harriet R. Curtis Theatre Collection includes theatre programs collected by Dr. Ford E. Curtis and his wife, Harriet. Dr. Curtis began teaching drama in the English department at the University of Pittsburgh in 1924. He and his wife were avid theatre goers, attending performances every week. After his retirement in 1961, he began to add to their personal collection of playbills and programs in the hopes of building a collection to donate to Pitt.
The materials that Dr. Curtis amassed included his own collection and materials donated to him. In addition to Dr. Curtis' donation to the University of Pittsburgh, the Curtis Collection staff still acquires additional programs to add to this collection and help to document the history of theatre and the performing arts in Pittsburgh and western Pennsylvania.